Monday 17 December 2018

Back to the Classics Challenge 2019!!




1. 19th Century Classic. Any classic book originally published between 1800 and 1899.

The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy (1878)


2. 20th Century Classic. Any classic book originally published between 1900 and 1969.

In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden (1969)


3. Classic by a Female Author.

A Josephine Tey title...or George Eliot??


4. Classic in Translation.

War & Peace by Leo Tolstoy (1867) or something by Jules Verne or 


5. Classic Comedy. Any comedy or humorous work.

Three Men in a Boat (1889) by Jerome K. Jerome or a book by Gerald Durrell


6. Classic Tragedy.

? The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1925)


7. Very Long Classic.

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (1862) or ??


8. Classic Novella. Any work of narrative fiction shorter than 250 pages.

The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy (1886)


9. Classic From the Americas (includes the Caribbean). Includes classic set in either continent or the Caribbean, or by an author originally from one of those countries.

I have no idea...maybe something by Willa Cather, Edith Wharton or Rex Stout


10. Classic From Africa, Asia, or Oceania (includes Australia).

The Makioka Sisters by Junichiro Tanizaki (Japan, 1943) or a Nevil Shute title (Australia);


11. Classic From a Place You've Lived. Read locally! Any classic set in a city, county, state or country in which you've lived.

So for me, this is either Scotland, Australia or New Zealand.


12. Classic Play. Any play written or performed at least 50 years ago.

I'll be going with Shakespeare. Perhaps The Merchant of Venice.



For details of the 2019 Back to the Classics Challenge see Karen's guidelines at Books & Chocolate.





17 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

This is a great looking list. Of the books thaf I have read I would recamend them all. Of this books that I have not read I would like to read. I love all the different categories. Picking books to fit into them seems like fun.

Lark said...

I'm signing up for this challenge, too. I don't know if I'll make all 12 categories, but I'm pretty sure I can find books for at least 9 of them. :)

Carol said...

Brian, some of the things I like best about this challenge are choosing the books for the categories, reading books I probably wouldn’t read otherwise & the community aspect of the challenge.

Carol said...

Lark, look forward to seeing which books you choose. I’m not going to burst my boiler trying to read in every category (famous last words) but hope to get a good many in.

Sharon Wilfong said...

I can never conform to these sort of challenges but I love reading other people's. This is a great looking list. I've read some of them. Did I miss it, or I guess the list does not include a biography of a classic author? I think that would be a good add.

Cleo @ Classical Carousel said...

Great list! This time you have some biggies on there! I can't wait to see what you choose for #11. I'm always so hesitant to set a list but I did this year. Now I'll just have to see if I stick to it. Have a great challenge and happy reading! :-)

Carol said...

No, you're right, Sharon, it doesn't have that category. I found a book the other day by an author whose name I recognised although I haven't read anything by her yet - Catherine Drinker Bowen. 'Beloved Friend' The Story of Tchaikovsky & Nadejda Von Meck (1937).

Carol said...

Thanks, Cleo. I like to browse everyone's lists even if they end up not doing the books they listed. I sort of go with what I feel like at the time although there's been a couple of books I had to push myself to read & I ended up really liking them.

JoAnn said...

Excellent list! The Makioka Sisters was a favorite several years ago and I'm planning to read The Return of the Native, too.

Ruthiella said...

Great list! I am considering choosing Three Men in a Boat for the comedy classic category too! :D

Carol said...

Hi Jo Ann, thanks for the comment. 🙂

Carol said...

Ruthiella, I thought that category was the hardest to choose. There definitely is a cultural element to humour.

Silvia said...

Wonderful picks, can't wait to read your reviews of them.
Merry Christmas, Carol.

Silvia said...

Oh, do read The Makioka Sisters, you will love it, I am sure.

Carol said...

Thanks, Silvia. Hope you had a great Christmas.

Joseph said...

Great Choices. Enjoy. And pick something from New Zealand (just cuz).

Carol said...

I will 🙂