Wednesday 2 April 2014

2 Years of Blogging - Getting to Know Me...



It was two years ago this month that I put up my first post on this blog.
I haven't shared much of my personal life over that time but I thought I might use this opportunity to let my readers know a bit more about me.

Things for which I am legendary:

* my muffins and carob balls
* driving around Australia, mostly on my own
* travelling alone around India by train
* tea consumption - I haven't met anyone yet who could out drink me
* getting lost
* diverse dramas and incidents in cars

Some things I've experienced when driving:

* losing a wheel while driving in the middle of the Northern Territory
* running into a petrol bowser in my dad's brand new car
* crashing into the car in front of me in peak hour traffic and instead of hitting the brake, planting my foot on the accelerator and hitting it again (so embarrassing).
*  backing down our driveway and running into the postie's motorbike
* unsuccessfully trying to change a tyre and finding out later I was trying to remove the wheel rim, not the hubcap
* running out of petrol in the middle of outback Queensland
* getting stuck in the biggest snowfall (totally unexpected) in about 180 years in inland northern NSW as I was driving from QLD to Sydney wearing a dress and a pair of sandals
* doing a 3 point turn on a steep drive & pulling what I thought was the handbrake & ending up flat on my back desperately trying to reach the brake pedal
* breaking down in pitch darkness in country Tasmania, getting out of the car and disappearing completely into a trench someone had dug next to the road

A bit about my journey into marriage & family life:

First I said I wasn't going to get married, but I did.
Then I said I definitely wasn't going to have children - famous last words. God told my husband not to worry,  He'd sort me out. And He did.
I've had 11 pregnancies and we have 7 wonderful children that made it to full term.
I had to have a cervical suture for each pregnancy that went over 13 weeks.
We've always homeschooled our children and the 4 eldest have now graduated without going into the school system; 2 were married during the last 5 months.

My philosophy of Home Education

Eric Liddell said that he felt God's pleasure when he ran. I feel God's pleasure as I teach my children, not just about spiritual things but about History & Music, Poetry & Maths, Science & Writing and Life.
If I ever thought that teaching my children wasn't bringing Him pleasure I don't think I'd want to be doing it.








4 comments:

hopeinbrazil said...

Congratulations on your two year "blogiversary"!

Celeste said...

Nice to get to know you a bit more, Carol! :)

Annie Kate said...

I've just discovered your blog and am so happy to find you! I love how you apply Liddell's thoughts to homeschooling.

Congratulations on your blogiversary.

Heather said...

That was a pleasure to read. I had a good laugh over your driving incidents, esp the one about being on your back while reaching for the brake pedal. I'm very glad you have been preserved each time.