Monday 31 December 2018

Christian Greats Challenge 2019 Book List




These are the books I'm considering for the Christian Greats Challenge in 2019. Some of them are re-reads that I'd like to re-visit after a long separation. For details of the challenge see my original post here.


1)  A Book on Early Church History: 

On the Incarnation by Athanasius


2)  A Book About a Prominent Christian Who Was Born Between 500 A.D & 1900

Not shown in the picture above as I haven't decided yet :)


3)  A Christian Allegory

Hinds' Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard (a re-read because I just found a beautiful copy with watercolour illustrations) or Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis


4)  A Book on Apologetics 

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis


5)  A Philosophical Book by a Christian Author

Tending the Heart of Virtue by Vigen Guroian


6)   A Missionary Biography 

L'Abri by Edith Schaeffer (re-read) or Chasing the Dragon by Jackie Pullinger


7)  A Seasonal Book 

Marian @ Classics Considered linked to some ideas on Lenten reads which sparked my interest so there are a few ideas running through my head which I'll mull over for awhile.


8)  A Novel with a Christian Theme

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo


9) A Good Old Detective or Mystery Novel

Unnatural Death by Dorothy Sayers. I would really like to re-read her books that include Harriet Vane who becomes Lord Peter Wimsey's wife but I can't find them & think my older children must have taken them when they left home. Looks like I might have to buy my own copies.


10)  A Substitute

Every Good Endeavor by Timothy Keller







11 comments:

Cleo @ Classical Carousel said...

Great list, Carol! I'm considering a couple of your books myself.

So interesting ..... a good friend of mine worked with Jackie Pullinger for two years in Hong Kong. She had a wonderful experience with her. I didn't even know she had a book published.

Christian Greats challenge, here we come!! :-)

Carol said...

That is interesting. She doesn’t seem to be that well known but her story is quite powerful.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

Was Edith Schaeffer the wife of Francis Schaeffer?

I've not heard of many of these...but the one by Athanasius is on my radar. Maybe a future read. I struggle with the ancients, but the early church does interest me so much.

And I'll have to check your link for seasonal books b/c I need suggestions.

Marian H said...

Facinating list - some I've never heard of and they sound so interesting! Now I kinda want to read Dorothy Sayers, too, since I've never read her mysteries but always been curious about them.

Carol said...

Ruth, yes she was Schaeffer’s wife.

Carol said...

Marian, I haven’t read anything by Sayers for a while but I’m looking forward to reading some of her books this year.

Sherry said...

I want to re-read Les Miserables and Dorothy Sayers, but I already decided to re-read David Copperfield this month. So, I guess Les Miz will have to wait.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Carol!
What great choices, I have read a few of them :) Looking forward to your reviews.
I am surprised that Jackie Pullinger is not so well known.
I have decided to read some Dorothy Sayers mysteries...good holiday reading!
Margaret

Carol said...

Hello Margaret! So good to hear from you & Happy New Year to you also! I've had a good reading start to the year. With the hot weather it's been pleasant to sit in the aircon & not do much except read over the last week or so.

Annie Kate said...

Oh, we love L'Abri! It was one of our top 20 read alouds ever, except for the final chapter which talked more about what L'Abri followers had done.

My list is almost finished. It takes me so long to decide on such things! Happy new year and happy reading to you. May God bless this challenge!

Carol said...

Looking forward to seeing your list.
Happy New Year to you too. X