Sunday 22 November 2020

A Charlotte Mason Highschool: In-between Years 10 & 11

Last month I wrote a post about our Year 10 studies. I'm now thinking about and making plans for Year 11 which Hails won't be starting until next year after a Christmas break. Now, for the interim, we are keeping up with cello lessons and exam preparation for her final exam in the first half of next year.

We started Novare General Biology, a new science curriculum, which I wrote about here and will continue that for the rest of the year and into next. This has inspired an interest in microscopy. We have an average, inexpensive sort of microscope but it has an attachment for a mobile phone so you may photograph what you're observing. This has been a big plus as Hails has an interest in photography and it's easy for everyone else to have a look without adjusting everything each time.

Microbehunter on YouTube has some great videos on all things related to microscopes and microscopy, including some good advice on choosing one suited to your situation (you don't need to spend a lot of money!!) and we've been watching these. He has also reviewed and highly recommends 'The Microbe Hunters,' by Paul de Kruif, a classic book on the major discoveries of the microscopic world that Ambleside Online uses for Years 8 to 11. 

Other books for our interim time:

Economix by Michael Goodwin; Illustrated by Dan E. Burr - we've had this for a few years and my next youngest, who is studying Economics at university, recommended his younger sister read it. It's a light, fun, graphic book on the economy - how economic forces affect you and have shaped history. My husband loves watching the nightly financial news and after reading this book Hails said, 'Now I understand what they're talking about!'

War & Peace by Leo Tolstoy - this is her slow read, which isn't her usual style, but she's reading a bit most days and once she was a few chapters in she started to enjoy it. 

World War I: The Rest of the Story and How it Affects You Today by Richard J. Maybury - an interesting perspective on wars and history. This book is followed by his book on World War II which we will use next year also. 


Discretionary Reading:

Escape or Die, The Dam Busters, The Great Escape, and Reach for the Sky by Paul Brickhill (WWII)

We Die Alone by David Howarth (WWII)

The Venetian Affair by Helen MacInnes

Blood Brothers by Elias Chacour - a superb book, written by a Palestinian Christian

Nemesis by Agatha Christie

Raw sugar crystals



Something new that I've taken on is working with My Homeschool, an Australian Charlotte Mason Inspired homeschooling curriculum that provides a complete curriculum from Kindergarten up to Year 9 and registration assistance for Australian families all over the country. It was started in 2017 by Michelle Morrow and during this Covid year it has expanded to serve about 600 families. I've been helping to run homeschooling workshops on the Charlotte Mason method via Zoom and just love doing it! 









7 comments:

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

Thanks for sharing, I always learn so much from your inspiring posts.
Now, I'm curious, is the picture something your daughter saw through the microscope? What does it represent? Really cool that you can take pictures of what you see!
I have heard about Economix in the same terms. And I just added the book on WWI to my TBR.
I read Blood Brothers about 30 years ago I think, in French. Elias Chacour was very popular in France at the time. What a powerful book!

Cleo said...

You always find such wonderful books, Carol. You make me wish I was still homeschooling!

I've ordered Economix from the library and I bought Blood Brothers. I can't wait to read both!

Carol said...

Hi Emma, the coloured picture is a pre-prepared stained slide of an insect wing, the other is one we put a few grains of sugar & some drops of water on. When you look through the microscope you see these images & when the phone is attached & you take a photo it's the same.
The author of WWI writes from a Libertarian viewpoint - limited government etc.

Carol said...

PS Emma, I read Blood Brothers years ago also. It is powerful & beautifully written.

Carol said...

Hi Cleo! We need a couple of lifetimes to get through all these books we find! Hope you enjoy both of them.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Nice list of books and that picture of something under a microscope looks like something I'd like to paint. Hope you all are well Down Under.

Carol said...

That's a good idea. We are all well, thanks. No new cases here for a couple of weeks so some of our state borders are opening up. Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving. X