Friday 4 June 2021

20 Books of Summer Challenge



Faking this challenge - it's winter here and I won't be reading 20 books but these are some I'm hoping to read:

1) The Power of Geography by Tim Marshall - I really liked his previous book, Prisoners of Geography and I was given this follow-up book for Mother's Day.

2) Under the Yoke by Ivan Vazov -  I've had this for a few years and have been meaning to read it at some point. Set in Bulgaria so will also use this for my 2021 Reading Europe Challenge which isn't going anywhere fast.

3) Mrs. Oswald Chambers: The Woman behind the World's Bestselling Devotional by Michelle Ule - another Mother's Day gift. I've been reading Oswald Chambers' book, My Utmost for His Highest on and off for years so am interested in his wife's story.

4) An Episode of Sparrows by Rumer Godden - this author had an interesting and unusual life and that's reflected in her books. Set in post-war London.

5) Keep Him My Country by Mary Durack - a novel by the author of Kings in Grass Castles. Durack was born into an Australian pioneering family and is recognised as one of the country's great literary figures. I hadn't heard of this one until I came across it in a secondhand book sale.

6) Pennies For Hitler by Jackie French - Australian author and a different perspective on WW2.

7) The Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Arnim - I've been wanting to read this for quite a while; set in Italy so will also be part of the Reading Europe Challenge.

8) Gentian Hill by Elizabeth Goudge - an author I've binged on lately but I'll be getting to the end of the books I can source fairly soon. 

9) Crooked House by Agatha Christie - I've been on a Christie catch-up since last year but I haven't been writing reviews...

10) Spain by Jan Morris - this book was published in 1964 while Franco was still ruling in Spain. I don't know much about Spain generally so this will be a history lesson for me as well as a travelogue.



Possible additions:


The Citadel by A. J. Cronin

The Bee Keeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri

Dracula by Bram Stoker


Thanks to Brona for the Southern Hemisphere alteration at the top of the page.

The 20 books of Summer is hosted by Cathy @ 746 Books.




16 comments:

reese said...

You did join. Yay! I really like Jan Morris, but haven't read Spain, and I don't know that Rumer Godden at all. I'll be interested to see about them particularly.

Lark said...

Great list of summer reads. I love Enchanted April, and Agatha Christie is always good. Happy reading! :)

Carol said...

Hi Reese, yes, just a bit slow to actually get around to it.🙁

Carol said...

Thanks Lark, yes, looking forward to those two.

Cathy746books said...

Thanks so much for taking part! Good luck and happy reading x

Sharon Wilfong said...

An interesting list. I'll be interested in your thoughts on The Enchanted April. Wasn't there a movie way back in the nineties?

You've alerted me to a number of your native Authors and I need to read more of them.

Carol said...

Hi Sharon, there possibly was a movie but I'm not a big movie viewer so I couldn't say.

Carol said...

Hi Cathy, thanks for the challenge!

mudpuddle said...

these all sound pretty interesting; another reminder of the vastness of the literary world: so much we'll never get to read...

Brona said...

Love the Australian choices as always, but glad you have a Godden and a EvA to look forward to too.

Carol said...

Hi Mudpuddle, that’s a better problem than not
enough. 🙂

Carol said...

It’s my first Von Armin book, Brona. My irl book club is reading it in a month or two.

Ruthiella said...

Let me also add my voice to the chorus singing the praises of The Enchanted April. Actually, I think it is a perfect book to read in Winter because the characters escape gray, rainy England and warm up in Italy so you can do so as well vicariously. :D

Carol said...

Thanks, Ruthiella. 😊

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

Good luck! Crooked House was very shocking to me, you'll see why. I'm doing the challenge as well. I have already read 13 books, but only 2 from my original list!!: https://wordsandpeace.com/2021/05/25/20-books-of-summer-2021/

Carol said...

Thanks Emma. I've been adding more books...I must start Crooked House - you've made me curious!