Friday 25 September 2015

Aussie Author Challenge 2015





Just making it in by the skin of my teeth...another 2015 Challenge, and this time it's all about Australian authors. This challenge is hosted by Book Lover Books and there are three different challenge levels to pick from. I've chosen the second level: 

WALLAROO

– Read and review 6 titles written by Australian authors, of which at least 2 of those authors are female, at least 2 of those authors are male, and at least 2 of those authors are new to you;
– Fiction or non-fiction, at least 2 genres.

I already had some books chosen to read this year so even though I'm coming in very late, I have at least one finished book plus a review and have started two others. All three below are by male authors, two of whom were new to me, and they are all basically autobiographies:

I Can Jump Puddles by Alan Marshall
A Fortunate Life by Albert Facey
I Find Australia by William Hatfield - the author was born in England and emigrated to Australia when he was about 20 years old. He served in the Australian Forces during WW2 so I think he would be classified as an Aussie. He wrote a few books about his experiences while travelling throughout Australia.


So I need to come up with two female Australian authors, and choose another genre and as I haven't read any modern books for quite some time, I'll possibly choose something more recent for at least one of those. 
I'd better get cracking.

Updated to add:

The Secret River by Kate Grenville (2005)
My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin (female author; fiction)
The Silver Brumby by Elyne Mitchell (1958; female author; children's fiction)



Completed on the 28th December 2015




 

4 comments:

Jo @ Booklover Book Reviews said...

Welcome to the challenge Carol! Looking forward to your reviews of some titles I have not had the opportunity to read.

Carol said...

Thanks Joanne!

Gently Mad said...

I saw a BBC production of my brilliant career back in the eighties with Sam Harris and Judy Davis. Now I would really like to read the book because I bet it's even better. I am also going to look up the other books, except maybe The Secret River. I don't like it when the authors use bad language either.

Carol said...

I forgot to mention another book I really enjoyed: https://journey-and-destination.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/robbery-under-arms-by-rolf-boldrewood.html