Friday 18 December 2015

A Reading Plan for 2016

For the past two years I've participated in AusRead during November, hosted by Brona's Books, and last year I added three more challenges: the Classic Children’s Literature Event, (also held during one month of the year), Back to the Classics and Aussie Authors Challenge. (update: forgot to add the 50 Classics in 5 years!). This year in addition to most of these, I'm adding a 'to be read' challenge. The idea is to choose books you already have but haven't got around to reading yet. I tried to fit in as many of these when I selected books for the Back to the Classics Challenge, so there are some cross-overs here (marked with an *) but some of the books I wanted to read were published later than the 'classic' publication cut off date of 1966 - Cancer Ward and Children of Men, for example.





So I thought that this Mount TBR Reading Challenge has my name all over it. I've discovered that signing up for something like this is a good discipline for my reading habits.
I've chosen the lowest level, Pike's Peak, and will plan to read 12 books from those listed below from my TBR mountain during 2016:


The Five Red Herrings by Dorothy L. Sayers

Decision at Delphi by Helen MacInnes *

If I Perish by Esther Ahn Kim

Cancer Ward by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn

The Refugees by A. Conan Doyle

Consider This by Karen Glass

The Edge by Dick Francis

A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor

When Children Love to Learn
- Elaine Cooper, General Editor

A Lantern in her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich

The Tragedy of the Korosko by Arthur Conan Doyle

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean

Pastoral by Nevil Shute

Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen *

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte *

Children of Men by P.D. James

Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis

The Road From Home by David Kheridian

Nothing Else Matters by Patricia St. John

King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard

The Harvester by Gene Stratton-Porter
 


Anyone care to join me?




13 comments:

Unknown said...

A Passion for the Impossible was GOOD. A bit slow going, but overall, I really loved it! There is an independent movie out about Trotter's life, that I would love to see, but not sure if it will be near me...called Many Beautiful Things. :) This is a great idea to read what you have already! I can't join this coming year, as we hope to move locally to a different property, most of my books are packed up there, and I don't want to overload myself, but I'm looking forward to watching for your reviews etc and cheering you on! :)

DeliveringGrace said...

Very tempting! However, as I have just signed up to Back to the Classics (I found this through your blog-thank you) and hope to do the Tim Challies challenge I think that I shouldn't join another. Such a good idea though.

Silvia said...

Love to see more lists. I LOVE Cancer Ward, loved it more than any other Russian book so far.

I want to, as soon as I get a few, take pics and keep looking for challenges, this one sounds like fun.

Initially I thought it would be A LOT, but looking back, I have read 60 books in 2015 (what???), I would never have said it was possible. And 1 was 900 pages, another 1200 pages, and a third one 600.
I have fun with the challenges, then I don't put pressure and I end up, if not meeting the challenges, reading wonderful books.

Silvia said...

Pics of the books I want to read this year.

Carol said...

Pics?? I agree about the challenges, Silvia. The point is to read some great books & it is fun to check out what everyone else is reading.

Carol said...

I picked that title as I'll be reading it aloud to dd. My son read it but I'd only skimmed it before giving it to him. We've been at this house for over 15 years & I still have stuff in boxes. Goes with a large family, I think. I'm always putting things aside to save for later years & then I come across them after I really need them!

Carol said...

You've chosen some great titles & given me some more ideas, unfortunately!!

Unknown said...

Yes, I saw that it is an AO pick!!! Neat! :)

Silvia said...

Pictures of the books. I love those, :)

Carol said...

Duh! Now I understand - I thought you meant you'd added some photos to your comments.

Rachel said...

I have just about finished A Lantern in Her Hand, a wonderful read! I am reading it on my Kindle late at night so I am missing opportunities to copy passages in my Quotes notebook, there are many I am drawn to reflect upon.

Carol said...

I've had this book for a long time so I really want to read it this coming year. I've only heard good things about it so that should be an impetus for me.

Heather said...

I have read a couple on your list and a couple more are works-in-progress. Great list!